Monday 30 September 2013

Marky Mark Mondays - Four Brothers


So one big reason for why I started to write was because television was so bad that when I arrived home from work I found myself so bored that I cried out for some creativity. Quite literally, there were tears and everything. I therefore turned to the type written pen to save my mind from turning in to reality TV mush. Yes, I am not ashamed to say it I wrote because there was nothing better to do.

Yet having said that there are some gems on the box and in the cinema. As much as television turned me to writing cinema did prove truly inspiring. A great film, for whatever the reason you think it is great, can inspire; they have inspired me. I like a lot of genres, actors and films but for my Monday blog I had to choose just one and I chose Marky Mark.

Yes, Marky Mark. That guy who was once in New Kids on the Block. That guy better known as Mark Wahlberg. For me and my dad he has never been in a bad film. You may disagree but I don’t care. My dad agrees so that is all that matters. However, feel free to critique away too.
This is the first blog of Marky Mark Mondays and the witty title was my dad’s creation. So applaud him for that. This will last for however long I still have a Marky Mark movie to write about and I will begin with an all-time favourite of mine, Four Brothers.

Four Brothers
 
 

So this is a John Singleton action-crime movie first released on 30th September 2005. So exactly 8 years ago to the day. I did my research. The plot is about four troublesome orphaned boys who were all taken in by a kind-hearted lady who only ever saw the good in them all.
Marky Mark stars as Booby Mercer alongside Tyrese Gibson, Andre Benjamin (aka Andre 3000) and Garret Hedlund as the leader of the four. He is as hard as nails with a comical wit yet has a soft spot for each of his brothers. Tyrese Gibson plays the smooth operating Tyrese Gibson, as always, but the script writers decided to give him the name of Angel Mercer. Andre Benjamin plays a quite remarkable role as the family and business man Jeremiah Mercer. Marky Mark is the oldest and the father figure of the Mercers and the protector, especially over the youngest brother Jack Mercer played by Garret Hedlund.
The film starts with their adoptive mother being gunned down in a grocery store and the four all return to their childhood home in Detroit to bury her and seek revenge on her killer. Defying the police and the always brilliant Terrence Howard, who plays a detective, the four brothers turn their old neighbourhood upside down to uncover the truth and the one responsible for their mother’s shooting.
This is an emotionally powerful action-packed drama with three actors who started out in the music game all putting in a master class. Yes, it may be more of a guy’s film but for me there is an underlying theme that I am not even sure John Singleton intended. There is not one hint of strangeness in the fact that the four brothers are of different race; instead there is just an acceptance that these four boys love their mum and love each other.
The four are tied by bonds thicker than blood and nothing will change that. Yes they have their problems and yes they have their doubts but when it really matters they are still brothers at the end of the day. Maybe I like it all the more because my very own brother now has four boys of his own and the message of brotherly love hit a nerve within me. Maybe it is just a great film to watch.
Nonetheless for me it gets a curetotheworld 5 star rating.
I highly recommend it. So if you have not seen it go and get it. The best part about it is that you can get it for a few pounds and if you are like me you will watch it over and over again.
Just click on this link.
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment