Tuesday 1 October 2013

Food For Thought Tuesdays

So one thing I like to use in my writing is the senses, sight, touch, sound, smell and taste, and daily pleasures can provide the perfect inspiration for this. The tenderness of a breast, the sweetness of sun kissed bliss and the warmth of a heated embrace. Yes, I am talking about food and drink; chicken, oranges and a hand snuggled mug of hot chocolate to be specific.

The regular habits of eating and drinking can tantalise your senses. That crunch of the toast in the morning as the perfectly melted cheese causes a tiny scald on your lip as your teeth bite down through the smooth dairy to the slightly charcoaled bread. The smell of coffee brightens your world as you slurp the smooth and milky latte that widens your eyes for the day ahead. You salivate at the sight of the darkened yellow cheddar before you are happy; delighted by the simple.

Food can change your mood and a drink can raise your spirits. A citrusy tang can make you squirm and a full hearty stew can send you to your dreams. You can remain safe with a home cooked meal or go on an adventure; sailing the seas for the perfect salmon or scuba diving down in search for the moreish mussels. You can experience the exotic with jerked Jamaican chicken, the culture of a Spanish Paella and the passion of an Italian meatball. You can journey the world and you can do it from your own home.

Here on this blog day, Food for Thought Tuesday, I am going to do just that. I am going to go on a journey, a journey to find the best store bought coffee, from the plain to the ridiculously long names. I will tell you about them all and I will tell you how they make me feel, how they taste and anything else that springs to mind. I will combine this with the hunt for the perfect meal; home cooked or restaurant prepared. I will tell you of the perfect place to eat, set the scene and describe the characters I find there. It is usually hilarious.
 
Yet I must make a confession. I have to be honest. Today I was supposed to be telling you all about The Classic latte; Costa’s, Starbucks’, CafĂ© Nero's and Pret a Manger’s. Only the classics for now, exotic blends will come later.
 
However, I have fallen behind schedule. Now fellow writers, how often does that happen? But it is okay, this is only the first date and for now we can just conversate. You probably feel a little self-conscious anyway. You do look beautiful in your turquoise Rossetta dress. Where did you get that from? Oasis? It makes your eyes shine like a Larimar gemstone. Have something light if it is all you want; if it makes you comfortable, if it makes you happy. We’ll take it slow, we’ll take out time. A little talking to get to know each other better. Next week, if all goes well, we can let our hair down and order a double cheeseburger and chunky chips with gallons of mayonnaise.

I am just kidding but next week, The Classic Latte.

No comments:

Post a Comment