Tuesday 8 October 2013

Food For Thought Tuesday - The Cure for Finding Yourself in Maidenhead

Thai Square, Maidenhead

So the title is misleading. I did not happen to be passing through or just be there for work or what not. I went there to see a friend, a pretty cool friend to be honest. It was completely planned, she lives there and we made the bold decision to go for dinner. I let the lady choose being the true gentleman that I am (I am trying to keep a straight face as I type this; it is hard).
 
Anyway, in a truly decisive manner that is unique to the female race she gave me a choice of two places; Italian or Thai. Thai was the only choice and the place we went is called Thai Square. I googled it to check it out, the menu looked good, the prices looked reasonable and then after a chat with the rat assassin I jumped in the car and off I went.
 
In Maidenhead I arrived, I had to wait a good twenty minutes for my friend. That was early for her but when she did arrive we walked, we talked, we laughed a little and before I knew it we were there at the Thai Square. We struggled to find the front door but between the two of us we managed to find it, for the average person it is obvious. We just have the observational skills of a bat.
 
The interior décor was simple yet sophisticated. The wooden floorboards blended with the wooden chairs that look less comfortable than they actually were. The metallic tables with wooden panelled tops underneath a white plate, wine glasses as the centre piece and cutlery on top of red napkins that matched the walls adding a hint of class to the sight that greeted us.
 
“Table for two?” the polite man asked. “Yes” came the reply and he led us through the not full but respectfully busy for a Tuesday night restaurant to the short walk to our table leaving us to peruse the menu. This was when the problems started to arise because there was just too much choice. Now I am no Thai cuisine expert but I was delightfully surprised by the menu.
 
The waiter came back to ask if we wanted drinks but we asked for more time to make our decision on what we would be eating. I know, I know that makes no sense but have you read this blog site? Ten minutes passed and I had rounded down my choice to five possibilities; it would be down to a pressurised last second decision. I splurted out Gang Kiew Wan Gai in the most embarrassing of ways, it means Thai Green Curry with 2 peppers indicating that it is spicy. I accompanied it with 4 chicken satay skewers because I am a man.
 
My friend ordered a soup, Tom Yam Goong to be precise. I was disgusted at first because I am a firm believer in making the most of eating out but I was proved wrong. When it came it was of a good size and apparently it tasted amazing.
 
The conversation turned to; “What is the worst thing you have said to a member of the opposite sex?” Out of all the hilariously awful that came out I won and I learnt that you should never ever tell a girl that she has cheese and onion breath when she is eating cheese and onion crisps. Personally I did not think it was that bad until last week. Oh well, you live and learn right.
 
Back to the food; it was as good as the company and that is a very good compliment for Thai Square, Maidenhead. The green curry had just enough spice to entertain my taste buds while the steamed rice managed the exotic flavours so that they did not overwhelm me. A beer to wash it down and a red wine for my friend as I turned my attention to the tender pea-nutted chicken. I must admit they are in my top 10 chicken satays I have ever tasted.
 
The talking continued and laughing about days of the past, the times that were present and those of the future. Then off to Wieatherspoons across the road for £1.60 which we swelled in our mouths just to taste; we are a couple of classy broads.
 
So if you ever do find yourself in Maidenhead then do we what we did. Go to Thai Square. The Cure to the World highly recommends it. Besides the parking only cost me £1.50!!
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment